Church History
 

Eastland Historical Information

"Some Highlights of the Past 95 Years"

Eastland Baptist Church began it's long history of service to Nashville and, by extension, the rest of the world in the Robert J. Overall home at 1305 East Greenwood Ave. in Nashville, Tennessee on March 26, 1911. A small study group had been meeting for Sunday School at the house for a little over a month and it was decided that a church would be constituted. There were eighteen charter members. On April 23, 1911, it was decided that a building would be erected at the Southwest corner of Greenwood Ave. and Chapel Ave. The building was inaugurated on the second Sunday in July of 1911, with the service being conducted by Brother W.H. Runions of Charleston, Tennessee. In November of that year, the church called Rev. Matthew C. Dickson to be Pastor.

The church grew in attendance quickly and despite several additions to the building in 1917, they were soon running out of room. So in September of 1919, a committee was formed to begin the purchase of property on Gallatin Rd., to gather money for a new building and a Pastoral residence. On April 14, 1920, the committee recommended that the church purchase the property known as the Wilhoite property which included a very large house on the site where the present building is located. Sunday evening, November 21, 1920 saw the last service at the old building at Chapel and Greenwood. The church had been in existence for nine and a half Years now. The first service in the new building, the remodeled residence, was held on December 5, 1920, a Wednesday evening. About forty were present. On December 5, 1920, 238 people showed up for Sunday School. As growth continued, several additions were made to the property.

  In November of 1922, the church voted to build a new auditorium under a five year plan. In June of 1923, they voted to build a two story addition to house the Sunday School classes. The building was eventually completed and occupied by the church. Early Sunday morning, April 26, 1931, the education building was gutted by a fire of unknown origin, supposedly faulty wiring. Emergency plans for Sunday School were put in place during the spring and summer months while repairs were made. On March 6, 1932, the new Sunday School building was opened. One major addition during the 1970's added a new educational building and a chapel. The Sound System underwent major renovation in the late 1990's and the buildings Sanctuary stage was rebuilt to modern specifications in the Summer of 2000. Other renovations are under way in several parts of the building now. Because of it's beauty and historic architecture, Eastland was being featured in the Tour of Homes Show in the year, 2001, and is a favorite place of many couples to marry. Many of them stay with us, becoming members of our Church. This has been a very abbreviated history of Eastland's 95 years. If you are interested in more info, you may call the office at  (615) 262-9424  or email us at church@eastlandbaptistchurch.org

 

Contact Us : (615) 262-9424 

E-Mail us : church@eastlandbaptistchurch.org